A great man

As I met various people from my alma mater LUMS, one thing which came up in conversations was the  demise of Prof. Zaeem Jafri, a well known mathematics instructor at LUMS. The university human resource department recollected his profile:


After successfully achieving two MSc degrees in Physics and Electronics Technology, respectively in 1980, he went on to pursue a PhD. in Micro-Electronics from the University of Surrey in United Kingdom. He joined LUMS on July 12, 2000. Dr. Zaeem Jafri was working at LUMS as an Associate Professor in the Department of Mathematics along with performing the duties of the Director of the Office of Student Affairs.

At LUMS he taught several courses including: (a) Theory and Applications of Science (b) Calculus (c) Foundations of Electronics (d) Foundations of Physics.  


Besides his affiliation with LUMS, Dr. Zaeem Jafri’s career involved teaching experience at various notable educational institutes.
This was Dr. Jafri the academic. However, I want to recollect some memories of Dr. Jafri the man. Dr. Jafri was more than an instructor to many people in LUMS and touched our lives by his enthusiasm and genuine interest in others. A thorough gentleman with meticulous manners and an easy-going, pleasant and kind personality, Dr. Jafri knew almost the whole of the LUMS community on a first name basis. I got to know Dr. Jafri well as I took some of his courses and also served as his teaching assistant. If I had one word to describe him, it would be 'genuine'.

Dr. Jafri was closely involved with the NOP (National Outreach Program) which is aimed at giving under-privileged students access to higher education. I worked as an instructor for two summers in the program which was being overseen by Dr. Jafri. I was touched by the close attention and interest taken by Dr. Jafri in the student welfare. He was a great conversationalist and enjoyed good food. I especially recall him being at his wittiest best when the NOP team went for a farewell dinner.

I kept in touch with him after I finished my BSc in 2003. I remember the way he supported my scholarship application by affectionately writing a handwritten letter. I also had an opportunity to welcome Dr. Jafri in Oxford in 2005. Incidentally, he was returning from a trip to Edinburgh where he escorted LUMS students to a highly successful showing at the WorldMUN. This was typical of the way he supported students in extra-curricular activities. He was in high spirits because of his students' success and fondly gave me a baked fish recipe which he used during his PhD days in the UK.

Every one near to Dr. Jafri was shocked when the news spread that he was suffering from cancer. However, what was inspiring was his refusal to get it in his way of being his cheerful, enthusiastic self. We kept in contact and he was always patient, attentive and extremely encouraging. By this time he had already been weakened due to the cancer and the treatment. Dr. Jafri was a man of principles and was forthright in protesting when a state of emergency was declared in Pakistan in 2007. He proudly and bravely came to my wedding reception in December 2007. It was an honour to receive him. When I emailed Dr. Jafri after one of his operations in 2009, the following was part of his reply:

I just survived another major surgery of the intestines. Alhamdolillah recovery is fine. Also this biopsy has revealed that I have a milder cancer which responds well to medicine. Wish the diagnosis had been correct four years ago. All the Chemotherapy and Radiation over the years was a great loss, both, bodily and financially. But such is life. I am very grateful to Allah Karim that we are on the right track at long last. May Allah Karim bless me with complete health. Ameen. Please keep praying for me.
Even in such pain, he was brave, dignified and thankful. Dr. Jafri breathed his last on the 18th of December 2009. May Almighty bless him and give his family the strength to bear such a great loss. It was my privilege to have known Dr. Jafri, a great man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smart Lotteries in School Choice Ex-ante Pareto-Improvement with Ex-post Stability

Proportionally Representative Clustering

Fair budgets from ranked ballots: PB-EAR